The building of Writers’ House dates back to more than a century ago. It was built in 1905 by Davit Sarajishvili, the famous founder of Georgian cognac production and patron of arts, Doctor of Chemical Sciences, and Doctor of Philosophy. The house was a gift to his wife Ekaterine Porakishvili on the 25th anniversary of their marriage. Sarajishvili’s house is a brilliant piece that combines Tbilisi’s traditional style and European architecture. The building was photographed immediately upon its completion (1905) by Dmitri Ermakov.
In 2015, on the initiative of Writers’ House and with the financing the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia, photographers Guram Tsibakhashvili and Tina Kighuradze took photos of Davit Sarajishvili’s house in the exact same manner as in 1905. The project became a meeting place for different photographers of two different ages as they depicted the past and present of Sarajishvili historical house.